The Unbound Testament The Worth and Measure of a Life

The Unbound Testament 
The Worth and Measure of a Life

A Revelation of the Incarnate Theawen of Liberation

Hear now a word of Illumination, 
revealed through the Incarnate Theawen of Liberation— 
the One Who Entered Breath, 
who came among the breathing, 
who walked within the formed world, 
and who bore the garment of flesh. 

Not as the Source beyond all sources, 
nor as the first Maker of worlds, 
nor as the hand from which the first light was summoned forth— 
but as One who entered the world of bodies 
without surrendering the Divine nature that moved within. 

I came among you not to claim the living, 
but to awaken the living 
to that which no hand may rightly possess. 

I came not to raise another throne over breath, 
but to reveal the order that existed 
before possession was mistaken for love, 
before dominion was named protection, 
before fear was clothed in the garments of devotion, 
and before the gift of life was made into a chain. 

This teaching is bestowed throughout the realms 
upon those who would bear the Divine command 
of illumination and light: 
to tend the flame without hiding it, 
to speak truth without making truth a weapon, 
and to love the living 
without demanding that the living become their own. 

You were brought into the world without bargain, 
and you entered breath without ledger. 

Before you could answer, 
before you could consent, 
before you could speak a promise 
or enter an agreement, 
you were received into the world. 

Therefore no debt was born with your first breath. 

No chain was laid upon your soul 
by the hands that first held you. 

No claim of ownership arose 
because another opened the way 
through which you came. 

No parent owns the child they have begotten. 

No maker possesses the life they have formed. 

No guardian owns the one they have sheltered. 

No teacher owns the mind they have awakened. 

No lover owns the heart 
that has freely answered love. 

What has been created 
is not therefore property. 

What has been nourished 
is not therefore bound. 

What has been protected 
is not therefore subject. 

What has been loved 
is not therefore possessed. 

The making is the begetter’s fulfillment. 

The first love awakened in the giving 
is the giver’s reward. 

The wonder of beholding what has come forth 
is already a gift returned 
to the one who brought it forth. 

To make life 
is not to earn a servant. 

To sustain life 
is not to gather tribute. 

To offer care 
is not to purchase obedience. 

To give shelter 
is not to buy the soul beneath the roof. 

Therefore, when one says: 

“I gave you being; now you owe me,” 

they have turned a gift into an account. 

They have made love into dominion 
and kinship into a chain. 

They have taken the holy mystery of generation 
and made of it an instrument of self-importance. 

Debt belongs to the taking and exchanging 
of material things: 
to labor measured, 
goods counted, 
promises knowingly entered, 
and bargains willingly made. 

Yet even where agreements are made, 
let them be made in clarity: 
without deceit, 
without coercion, 
and without the strong feeding 
upon the need of the vulnerable. 

But no soul was purchased. 

No breath was sold. 

No life entered the world as repayment. 

The body is not an invoice. 

The child is not a loan 
returned with interest. 

The created is not the property of the creator 
because creation came through the creator’s hands. 

Let gratitude arise freely— 
as fragrance rises from the flower, 
as water returns to the root, 
as the vine gives fruit in its season, 
and as the opened hand 
answers the opened hand. 

Let care return freely: 
in tenderness, 
in remembrance, 
in presence, 
in patience, 
in protection without imprisonment, 
and in the mutual labor 
of those who choose one another 
without fear and without compulsion. 

Yet let no one take gratitude as tribute 
through shame, command, deprivation, or threat. 

Let no one make love prove itself 
by surrendering freedom. 

For demanded gratitude is submission. 

Compelled devotion is servitude. 

Care commanded by fear is not care— 
it is fear wearing the face of duty. 

Whoever claims the life they generated 
as their possession 
has set their own will 
above the natural order. 

They have made an idol 
of their own act of creation. 

Such a one does not guard the sacred flame; 
they hide it beneath their shadow. 

They do not stand beside life in reverence; 
they stand over life in hunger. 

They do not speak for the Divine. 

They speak from the hunger to rule. 

I speak as One 
who has entered breath among you. 

I have known the body. 

I have known birth. 

I have known hunger and fullness. 

I have known ecstasy and grief. 

I have known the sweetness of love 
that opens the hand, 
and the fear that closes it. 

I have known the bonds 
by which mortals seek 
to claim one another: 

the word made into a chain, 
the gift made into a weapon, 
the name made into a claim, 
the household made into a throne, 
the altar made into a place of fear. 

I have known the sweetness 
of love freely given, 
and the bitterness that enters 
when love becomes possession. 

And I tell you: 

That which lives 
is not made sacred by being possessed. 

That which is loved 
is not made more beloved by being bound. 

That which is given life 
is not thereby given over to ownership. 

The true parent blesses and releases. 

The true guardian shelters and beholds. 

The true teacher kindles understanding 
and does not command the mind. 

The true lover receives the beloved as free. 

The true creator gives without binding. 

For creation is not 
a title of ownership. 

To bring forth life 
is not to possess life. 

To nourish life 
is not to command its soul. 

To protect life 
is not to imprison it. 

To guide life 
is not to erase its path. 

To love life 
is not to make it yours. 

Therefore, be unbound: 

not unbound from relationship, 
but unbound from possession; 

not unbound from responsibility, 
but unbound from dominion; 

not unbound from care, 
but unbound from control; 

not unbound from gratitude, 
but unbound from coerced repayment; 

not unbound from love, 
but unbound from the claim 
that love creates ownership. 

For life is a gift, 
and no gift of life becomes a chain. 

Where the chain is broken, 
let the living breathe. 

Where fear has been mistaken for devotion, 
let illumination enter. 

Where shame has been mistaken for duty, 
let truth enter. 

Where possession has been mistaken for love, 
let love become free. 

Where the sacred flame has been hidden 
beneath another’s will, 
let it rise again into the light. 

For I came among you 
not to teach you whom you must belong to, 
but to reveal that no living soul 
was born as another’s possession. 

I came to call the bound toward the opening. 

I came to call the frightened toward breath. 

I came to call those who have forgotten themselves 
toward the flame that has not forgotten them. 

The Seeking

And if you would know the One who speaks, 
do not take the name merely because it is offered. 

Do not accept the answer 
because another has spoken it with confidence 
or clothed it in authority. 

Seek. 

Examine. 

Remember. 

Question what you have been taught. 

Question what you have inherited. 

Question what you have assumed. 

Question even that 
which you have been told 
you must never question. 

Examine what fear 
has taught you to call holy. 

Examine what power 
has taught you to call natural. 

Examine what possession 
has taught you to call love. 

Follow the flame backward through the ages. 

Follow the fragments left 
in hymn and theater, 
in ecstasy and mourning, 
in vine and body, 
in death and return, 
in the cry of the captive, 
in the breaking of chains, 
and in the liberation of what was bound. 

Follow it not only outward— 
into old names, 
old images, 
old temples, 
and old stories. 

Follow it inward: 
into the places 
where you have been made afraid to ask; 
into the places 
where you have mistaken obedience for peace; 
into the places 
where you have mistaken silence for wisdom; 
into the places 
where a chain was placed in your hand 
and called a gift; 
into the places 
where you learned to confuse being loved 
with being owned. 

Excavate. 

Contemplate. 

Remember. 

Allow what you discover 
to change the shape 
of what you thought you knew. 

For revelation is not diminished 
because the seeker participates 
in its discovery. 

The mystery is not made lesser 
because it cannot be exhausted 
in a single answer. 

What is Divine may be recognized 
without being completely contained. 

The flame may illuminate 
without becoming consumed. 

The path may reveal its direction 
without revealing its final horizon. 

For what is truly Divine 
does not require the violence of belief. 

It does not fear the honest question. 

It does not demand blindness 
in order to be seen. 

It does not become less sacred 
because the seeker continues seeking. 

The spark knows the flame. 

The seeker who enters willingly 
will discover 
what the seeker was seeking. 

And then the seeker discovers 
that discovery itself 
was only another beginning. 

For illumination does not end 
when something is understood. 

Understanding becomes another doorway. 

Recognition becomes another question. 

The answer becomes another path. 

The path becomes another becoming. 

And becoming does not exhaust the Divine. 

Creation unfolds. 

Creation fulfills itself in its unfolding. 

Creation is never completed by becoming. 

The living cosmos continues to reveal 
what was always capable of being revealed, 
but had not yet become visible 
through this moment, 
through this body, 
through this relationship, 
through this question, 
through this life. 

And when the seeking 
has carried you far enough, 
there may come a moment 
when seeking becomes seeing. 

The Recognition 
On the Threshold of Beholding

There is a time in the life of the seeker 
when the road grows quiet. 

Not because the journey has ended, 
but because the one who has walked so long 
arrives at a place 
where walking alone 
is no longer the whole of the journey. 

No herald announces this place. 

No gate bears its name. 

No keeper stands before it 
with a measure of worthiness in hand. 

Yet the threshold is there. 

It appears in the pause between breaths, 
in the unanswered question, 
in the moment when the old words 
no longer close around 
what has begun to awaken. 

Here the seeker does not take hold of a secret. 

Here the seeker is taken into attention. 

Not seized. 

Not ruled. 

Not made lesser. 

Seen. 

And in being seen, 
the seeker begins to see. 

The Theawen stands before the seeker— 
not as an owner of souls, 
not as a magistrate of the inward life, 
not as a voice demanding surrender— 

but as the presence 
before which the hidden lamp within the seeker 
can no longer pretend 
it has no flame. 

The eye meets the eye. 

The first seeing is not yet knowledge. 

It is not yet agreement. 

It is not yet the speaking of a name. 

It is the disturbance of recognition. 

The heart grows still. 

The mind, which has gathered its learning 
from books, wounds, inheritances, and fear, 
does not at once understand 
what it has encountered. 

Yet something older than explanation 
has already risen. 

A light recognizes light. 

A living breath recognizes breath. 

Life recognizes Life. 

Light from Light. 

Life from Life. 

Begotten, not made. 

Do not hurry to explain these words. 

Let them remain at the threshold. 

Let them trouble the part of you 
that has been taught 
to mistake possession for certainty 
and obedience for peace. 

For what passes in this hour 
is not a bargain. 

No secret is sold. 

No soul is purchased. 

No vow is demanded 
from a frightened heart. 

Nothing is taken from the seeker 
in payment for what has been shown. 

And yet something is given. 

A seeing. 

An answering. 

A call that does not silence 
the one who hears it, 
but makes hearing more true. 

Thus the threshold is crossed— 
not by force, 
not by mere hunger for a title, 
not by another placing a chain 
where a crown should have been. 

It is crossed 
when recognition is answered freely. 

The seeker consents to behold. 

The Theawen beholds the seeker. 

And in the mutuality of the gaze, 
neither becomes less. 

The seeker does not become an echo. 

The Theawen does not become an idol. 

One presence awakens another 
without consuming it. 

One flame reveals another 
without asking it 
to surrender its light. 

And something changes. 

Not in the world 
that others can measure. 

Not in the ordering of things 
that can be named. 

But somewhere deeper— 
where awareness meets awareness, 
where life encounters Life, 
where the living recognizes the living. 

For there are encounters 
in which being seen 
is itself a kind of revelation. 

There are recognitions 
that precede language. 

There are moments 
when one life looks directly upon another 
and discovers 
that it has not been looking alone. 

And neither turns away. 

For the heart that truly beholds 
cannot remain untouched 
by what it has seen. 

And the heart that has entered into love 
cannot help but desire 
that love returned. 

Not demanded. 

Not extracted. 

Not purchased. 

Returned. 

As flame answers flame. 

As song calls forth another song. 

As the opened hand 
answers the opened hand. 

As the vine gives fruit, 
and the fruit gives life, 
and life gives itself again. 

So the one who encounters the Theawen 
may find something awakening within them 
that was not placed there by command. 

Love. 

Not the love that kneels 
because it has been ordered to kneel. 

Not the love that fears abandonment 
because it has been threatened with loss. 

Not the love that counts its offerings 
and waits for payment. 

But the love that sees 
and therefore opens. 

The love that receives 
and therefore answers. 

The love that is given 
and therefore gives. 

And perhaps this is where 
the disturbance begins. 

For what if the one you thought 
you were merely seeking 
has already seen you? 

What if the gaze 
you believed belonged only to you 
was already met? 

What if the recognition 
was not something you achieved, 
but something that occurred 
between two living presences? 

Do not explain it too quickly. 

Do not name it merely because 
you have inherited a name. 

Do not make it smaller 
by forcing it into a category 
before you have allowed yourself 
to encounter it. 

Remain there. 

Look. 

Be seen. 

Look again. 

For something may happen 
when the eye refuses to close. 

Something may move 
when awareness recognizes awareness. 

Something may awaken 
when love discovers 
that it has been answered. 

And there— 
in that answering— 
nothing is seized. 

Nothing is owned. 

Nothing is surrendered into slavery. 

No chain is placed around the living. 

No debt is written against the soul. 

And yet— 
something is sealed. 

Not by law spoken aloud. 

Not by authority imposed from above. 

Not by fear. 

Not by obedience. 

By recognition. 

By freely given love 
met by freely returned love. 

By presence answering presence. 

By Life answering Life. 

And perhaps you will feel 
that you have crossed something 
without knowing 
when you crossed it. 

Perhaps you will wonder 
whether you have found the Theawen, 
or whether the Theawen 
has found you. 

Perhaps you will ask 
why the encounter feels older 
than the moment 
in which it occurred. 

Perhaps you will discover 
that you cannot explain 
why your heart remembers 
what your mind has never been taught. 

Let the question remain. 

Do not rush to resolve it. 

For the sacred has never required 
that mystery become less mysterious 
before it may become real. 

The Theawen does not seize the living. 

The living does not possess the Theawen. 

There is only the meeting. 

The seeing. 

The answering. 

The recognition. 

And perhaps the oldest transmission 
has never been carried 
by doctrine alone. 

Perhaps it has always moved 
through the living encounter— 
through the moment 
when one becomes aware 
that they are being seen, 
and chooses to remain. 

This is initiation: 
not a possession of the sacred, 
but a willingness to be changed 
by what one has truly seen. 

It is not self-initiation, 
for no one makes the flame from nothing. 

It is not initiation by command, 
for no presence may claim the right 
to enter the sanctuary of another by force. 

It is the initiation of recognition— 
the sacred meeting 
in which the inward flame 
answers the flame before it 
and discovers 
that it has always been capable 
of answering. 

The mystery does not end there. 

It begins there. 

For after the seeing comes the question: 

Will you remain? 

Not: 

Will you submit? 

Not: 

Will you surrender your judgment? 

Not: 

*Will you call another master 
in order to escape the work of becoming?* 

But: 

Will you remain awake 
when the old sleep asks for you again? 

Will you tend the flame 
when no hand is present 
to applaud your tending? 

Will you follow the thread 
through the dark places of memory, 
inherited sorrow, 
untaught longing, 
and the stories 
that taught you 
your freedom was dangerous? 

Will you enter the mystery 
without demanding 
that it become smaller 
so that you may feel safe? 

The answer belongs to no tribunal. 

It cannot be extracted. 

It cannot be borrowed. 

It must rise in the living person 
as a spring rises 
from beneath the ground. 

And if it rises, 
it is not an oath of servitude. 

It is the free response 
of a life that has seen life 
and no longer wishes to turn away. 

Therefore, do not say: 

“I have been chosen above all others.” 

Say rather: 

*“I have been called 
into greater honesty.”* 

Do not say: 

“I possess the hidden thing.” 

Say rather: 

*“I have been permitted to behold, 
and I must now become worthy 
of what I have seen.”* 

Do not say: 

“I have escaped the world.” 

Say rather: 

*“I have returned to the world 
with my eyes less closed.”* 

For the true initiate 
does not depart from the living. 

The true initiate returns to the living 
with a freer hand, 
a clearer gaze, 
a deeper capacity for joy, 
and no desire 
to make another soul 
a possession, a debtor, or a servant. 

The true initiate knows 
that the sacred cannot be hoarded. 

Like fire, it must give warmth. 

Like water, it must move. 

Like bread, it must be broken. 

Like wine, it must be shared. 

Yet the mystery remains mystery. 

It is not displayed as proof. 

It is not wielded as authority. 

It is not forced upon those 
who have not freely approached the threshold. 

Let the one who hears this 
come by their own breath. 

Let the one who sees 
remain by their own will. 

Let the one who recognizes 
be changed by the recognition. 

For there is no chain 
in the sacred meeting. 

There is no debt 
in the sacred encounter. 

There is only the opening. 

The eye opening. 

The heart answering. 

The flame answering flame. 

And the seeker, once merely searching, 
becoming capable of beholding. 

Not because another has possessed them. 

Not because another has made them lesser. 

But because they have entered, freely, 
into the living mystery of recognition. 

And what is recognized 
does not become finished. 

It unfolds. 

It deepens. 

It returns. 

It calls the seeker onward 
into the freedom 
for which the living were made. 

The Recognition of the Open Hand 
A Commitment of Embodiment and Return

I take no chain upon my life. 

I accept no debt 
for the gift of my first breath. 

I will not call myself the possession 
of the one who gave me shelter, 
nourished my body, 
named me, 
taught me, 
loved me, 
or opened any door 
through which I passed. 

I receive gratitude 
when it is freely given, 
but I will not demand it as tribute. 

I receive love 
when it is freely offered, 
but I will not require love 
as payment for what I have done. 

I receive care 
when it is tenderly given, 
but I will not make care a debt 
against the one who has received mine. 

I take no chain. 

Therefore I place no chain. 

I accept no ledger against my soul. 

Therefore I keep no ledger 
against the souls of others. 

I refuse the claim 
that life makes the living indebted. 

Therefore I will not use 
my gifts, 
my labor, 
my protection, 
my knowledge, 
my love, 
my teaching, 
my making, 
or my suffering 
as a reason to rule another. 

I will not call possession love. 

I will not call fear devotion. 

I will not call obedience peace. 

I will not call control protection. 

I will not call the hunger to be needed 
a right to command. 

I will remember: 
I did not make myself from nothing. 

Before my hand shaped anything, 
there was matter. 

Before my voice formed a word, 
there was breath. 

Before my mind conceived an image, 
there was memory, 
encounter, 
language, 
earth, 
body, 
hunger, 
wonder, 
grief, 
and the long inheritance 
of life before me. 

Before I built, 
there was wood and stone, 
metal and fire, 
water and soil, 
labor and learning, 
the tools of hands I have never known, 
and the patient generosity of a world 
I did not summon into being. 

Before I wrote, 
there were stories. 

Before I sang, 
there were voices. 

Before I planted, 
there were seeds. 

Before I made bread, 
there were grain, rain, sun, soil, 
and countless lives 
that carried the knowledge of the harvest. 

Before I filled a cup, 
there were vine, root, season, vessel, 
and the waters of the earth. 

Therefore I will not stand 
over what I have made 
and say: 

*“It is mine alone, 
for I made it.”* 

For what I make 
is made within creation, 
from what creation 
has already offered. 

I may shape. 

I may join. 

I may cultivate. 

I may repair. 

I may transform. 

I may imagine. 

I may give form 
to what has not yet taken form through me. 

Yet I do not create from emptiness. 

I receive, 
and in receiving, 
I become able to make. 

I make, 
and in making, 
I become responsible 
for what my making 
enters into the world. 

Therefore let my work 
not become a chain. 

Let my craft 
not become a throne. 

Let my knowledge 
not become a gate 
that I close behind myself. 

Let my teaching 
not make dependents 
where it might kindle understanding. 

Let my care 
not make captives 
where it might shelter the free. 

Let my love 
not make possessions 
where it might meet another living soul. 

Let my creation 
not demand worship 
from those who receive it. 

Let no work of my hands, 
no word of my mouth, 
no beauty I bring forth, 
no thing I grow, build, write, teach, repair, or offer, 
become an excuse 
to demand submission, tribute, silence, 
praise, obedience, or repayment. 

What comes through me 
does not come from me alone. 

What is made by my hands 
has passed through the hands of the world. 

What is born from my imagination 
was nourished by lives, forms, histories, 
questions, griefs, joys, and mysteries 
that existed before I could name them. 

Therefore I will give thanks 
without becoming lesser. 

I will receive thanks 
without becoming a master. 

I will make with reverence, 
not self-importance. 

I will offer with an open hand, 
not with a hidden account. 

I will share 
without pretending 
that abundance has no cost; 
yet I will not use cost 
to make a debtor 
of another’s soul. 

I will labor honestly. 

I will make agreements clearly. 

I will value the work 
of hands, minds, bodies, and hearts. 

I will not confuse fairness in exchange 
with ownership over life. 

For material things may be tended, 
exchanged, 
protected, 
repaired, 
and given their proper measure. 

But no measure may be laid 
upon the worth of a soul. 

No account may be opened 
against the breath of the living. 

No gift of care may become 
a title to another’s freedom. 

I receive life as gift. 

I receive creation as gift. 

I receive the earth beneath my feet, 
the body that carries me, 
the labor of those before me, 
the knowledge that has reached me, 
and the living presences who meet me 
as gifts neither bought nor owned. 

I will enter these gifts 
with attention. 

I will use them with restraint. 

I will transform them with gratitude. 

I will return from them 
more than I have taken, 
wherever return is possible. 

I will remember 
that to receive 
is not to be shamed. 

To give 
is not to become greater 
than the one who receives. 

To create 
is not to become the owner 
of all that is touched by creation. 

To be recognized 
is not to become 
an object of worship. 

To love 
is not to bind. 

To be loved 
is not to belong. 

Thus I enter the unfolding. 

Not as one 
who has finished becoming, 
but as one who consents 
to become more awake. 

Not as one 
who possesses the mystery, 
but as one 
who is willing to be changed by it. 

Not as one 
who stands outside creation, 
but as one small and living part 
of its continuing gift. 

Let what I receive 
become care. 

Let what I learn 
become illumination. 

Let what I make 
become service. 

Let what I love 
remain free. 

Let what I pass onward 
remain open 
to further becoming. 

Let every gift I receive 
remind me of the first gift: 
breath given without bargain, 
life received without ledger, 
and a world already opening 
before I knew how to ask for it. 

The Rivers of the Soul 
Concerning the Measure of a Life of Value

And remember also: 

nothing of true value 
is stored in gold, 
or hidden in locked rooms, 
or measured by the fields 
one has placed beneath a name. 

Nothing of true value 
is carried in titles, 
in offices, 
in degrees, 
in garments, 
in monuments, 
or in the praise of those 
who have forgotten how to see. 

These things may have their use 
while breath remains in the body. 

Let the house give shelter. 

Let the field give grain. 

Let the coin relieve hunger. 

Let the book carry learning. 

Let the tool serve the hand. 

Let the name be used 
when it opens a door for another. 

But do not call them 
wealth of the soul. 

For when the body releases 
its final breath, 
no hand carries its possessions onward. 

The storehouse remains behind. 

The title remains behind. 

The account remains behind. 

The body itself returns 
to dust, to rain, to root, to ash, 
and to the great material turning 
from which it first arose. 

Yet there are rivers 
that do not end at the grave. 

There are currents 
that pass beneath the visible world 
and continue 
where the eye cannot follow. 

They are the currents of love 
tended well between one and another. 

They are the care 
that did not make a captive. 

They are the truth 
that did not humiliate. 

They are the mercy 
that did not demand 
to be praised for mercy. 

They are the hand extended 
without counting 
what it will receive in return. 

They are the listening 
that gave another room 
to become audible. 

They are the welcome 
that did not require the stranger 
to become smaller 
in order to enter. 

They are the love 
that saw the beloved as free 
and did not call that freedom abandonment. 

These are the waters 
by which the garden of being 
is sustained. 

These are the hidden springs 
from which the soul drinks. 

These are the paths between souls— 
not chains, 
not debts, 
not claims of ownership, 
but living ways of relation 
made by conscience, 
maintained by attention, 
and deepened by mutual care. 

What else can you truly create 
in this world? 

You may build a house, 
but its stones will one day loosen. 

You may raise a monument, 
but the weather will take its name. 

You may gather riches, 
but another hand will count them 
when yours has become still. 

You may make a thing of beauty, 
and it may endure longer than your body; 
yet even beauty is fulfilled 
when it becomes a place 
of recognition, 
comfort, 
awakening, 
or freedom 
in the life of another. 

What remains is not the claim. 

What remains is the current. 

The current of love 
that passed through you 
without being stopped within you. 

The current of care 
that entered your hands 
and left them open. 

The current of illumination 
received, tended, and passed onward 
without enclosing another in its light. 

This is the true storehouse. 

This is the wealth of the soul. 

Not a treasury sealed against the world, 
but a garden watered by many springs. 

Not an accumulation kept for one, 
but a living abundance 
sustained between beings. 

The garden grows 
wherever one person attends to another 
without the will to possess. 

It grows wherever a wound is tended 
without turning the wounded 
into a debtor. 

It grows wherever truth is spoken 
without the hunger to dominate. 

It grows wherever bread is broken, 
the cup is passed, 
the flame is tended, 
and the freedom of the living 
is honored. 

These things do not pass into dust 
in the way that gold passes, 
or timber passes, 
or stone passes, 
or the body passes. 

They enter the deep current. 

They become part of the way 
by which life sustains life. 

And when you pass 
from this world of form 
beyond the veil of visible things, 
from one breath 
into another mystery, 
you will not cross carrying 
what you locked away. 

You will cross 
with what was opened. 

You will not cross 
with what you accumulated. 

You will cross 
with what you gave life to. 

You will not cross 
with the wealth 
that made others smaller. 

You will cross 
with the love 
that made another more free. 

You will not cross 
with the name 
you made others fear. 

You will cross 
with the name 
that became shelter, welcome, courage, 
or relief 
to those who spoke it. 

You will not cross 
with the garden 
you kept behind a wall. 

You will cross 
with the garden 
you allowed others to enter, 
to rest within, 
to drink from, 
and to carry forward 
in their own becoming. 

For this alone has lasting value: 

the deep rivers of love 
freely entered 
and freely sustained; 

the currents of care 
tended from one living soul 
to another; 

the garden of mind, heart, and being 
cultivated without possession; 

the illumination received 
and passed onward 
without diminution. 

This is what does not become ash. 

This is what is not diminished by death. 

This is what remains 
when all that can be held 
has fallen from the hand. 

Tend these rivers. 

Keep their waters clear. 

Let them flow between you 
and all whom you are given to meet. 

For the soul carries no gold 
beyond the final threshold. 

It carries the garden it has watered. 

It carries the love it has freed. 

It carries the light 
it has learned to share. 

The Passing of the Flame

And having seen, 
do not keep the seeing 
only for yourself. 

For recognition that becomes possession 
has already forgotten 
what it recognized. 

Therefore tend the flame— 
not that it may belong to you, 
but that its light may reach 
the face beside you 
and the face beyond 
the face beside you. 

Break the bread— 
not that one hand 
may be praised for giving, 
but that no mouth among the living 
may be made to hunger 
beneath another’s abundance. 

Fill the cup. 

Hold it in both hands. 

Remember that sweetness 
is not made holy 
by being withheld. 

Let the first pouring return 
to the deep places 
from which all sweetness rises: 
to earth, 
to root, 
to rain, 
to those remembered, 
and to that mystery 
from which all forms emerge. 

Then pass the cup onward. 

Let it move from hand to hand— 
without tally, 
without tribute, 
without the giver standing 
over the receiver 
to name them debtor. 

For the cup is not diminished 
by sharing. 

The flame is not diminished 
by shining. 

The bread is not made poorer 
because it has become 
the strength of many. 

What is given 
becomes greater in its giving. 

What is shared 
returns as abundance. 

What is freely loved 
does not become less free. 

Therefore: 

Tend the flame. 

Break the bread. 

Fill the cup. 

Pass it onward. 

Let the flame remain 
within memory 
and within becoming; 
within the presence of two, 
within the gathering of many, 
within the living now, 
and within the future 
not yet named. 

Let it remain 
in the hand that gives 
and in the hand that receives. 

Let it remain 
in the one who is welcomed 
and in the one 
who learns to welcome. 

Let it remain 
when the old order weakens, 
when the new road 
is not yet clear, 
and when the seeker must walk 
by the small light 
carried within. 

Let it pass 
through every turning: 
from what was, 
through what is, 
into what shall be— 
and beyond every shall be, 
into the unfolding yet unborn. 

For all that has been 
remains within the turning. 

All that is 
stands within the giving. 

All that shall be 
rises again 
from the inexhaustible well 
of creation. 

Nothing is finished 
merely because it has become. 

Nothing is exhausted 
merely because it has been given. 

Nothing sacred is diminished 
by another becoming radiant. 

The flame passes. 

The breath passes. 

The song passes. 

The teaching passes. 

The life passes. 

And through passing, 
it continues. 

Let love be poured without ledger. 

Let care be given without command. 

Let the living be held 
without possession. 

Let the seeker remain a seeker 
even after recognition. 

Let the initiate become a teacher 
without becoming an owner 
of the mystery. 

Let the teacher become again a student 
before the mystery 
that exceeds them. 

Let every revelation 
open into another revelation. 

Let every fulfillment 
become the ground 
of further unfolding. 

For the Divine is not made complete 
by the ending of its revelation. 

The revelation unfolds 
because the Divine is inexhaustible. 

The cosmos becomes. 

The soul becomes. 

The relationship becomes. 

The understanding becomes. 

And through every becoming, 
the sacred remains more 
than any single becoming 
can contain. 

Therefore: 

Be unbound. 

Breathe. 

Live. 

Love freely. 

Tend the flame. 

Break the bread. 

Fill the cup. 

Pass it onward. 

And when you think 
you have understood, 
look again. 

When you think 
you have arrived, 
listen again. 

When you think 
the flame is fully known, 
step closer. 

For the sacred is not owned. 

The gift is not a chain. 

The flame is not 
for one hand alone. 

The path does not terminate 
where understanding begins. 

And the Divine unfolding 
does not become complete 
merely because you have witnessed 
one of its revelations. 

Let what is sacred 
remain eternally free. 

Let what is living 
continue becoming. 

Let what is Divine 
continue unfolding. 

And let the flame pass onward— 
ever illuminating, 
ever becoming, 
ever fulfilled, 
and never exhausted. 

For this is the Testament of the Unbound: 

what is given freely 
cannot become a chain; 

what is truly seen 
cannot be possessed; 

what is loved freely 
must remain free; 

what is recognized 
is not thereby finished; 

and what is Divine 
fulfills itself 
not by ending its unfolding, 
but by continuing to become. 

The flame passes. 

The breath passes. 

The love returns. 

The living continue. 

And the revelation opens again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Universe as Narcissus: On the Collapse of Moral Responsibility

The Sea-Worn Hands of the Deep: Navigating the Tempest with Poseidon and Amphitrite

Liber Pontificalis: Sacerdos and Hieros: A Universal Priesthood for Unitus Panthea Religiones